Menu

Sunday 2 April 2017

KOTM OST 2017 - My First Ultra Run

Months and consecutive hiking activities hindered me to go back to my province until King of the Mountain race; a trail running event yearly held in Kayapa Nueva Vizcaya, eventually led me home. 

 Pose after finishing OST 50km

It was more than a running race for me because I look forward to be with my family and friends at home. It’s been a while since I made my parents proud. It would have been a sweet sight seeing them smiling as they wait for me at the finish line. However because of short notice and other circumstances it was just my sister who showed up and for that I’m very much grateful and still hoping that someday my family will be there waiting for me at a KOTM event finish line. 

It was an abrupt decision out of curiosity and excitement to join the Old Spanish Trail 50KM, a side  event  of the Four Lakes 100 (FL100) which is one of the races in King of the Mountain (KOTM) Trail races. With only one trail race event  last February (which by the way my first ever running event, ever)  and few running mileages  under my feet I was still determined to sign up for the race. Perhaps it was the belief from friends and the ‘bahala na’ mentality that lured me in joining a highly respected running event in the country despite the consequences of a not having enough preparation.

After a week since I submitted registration I received the confirmation from the race director Sir Jonnel that I’m in. Of course it was a joyous moment then eventually race jitters came to me. Questions and doubts started to get in my head if I can do an ultra race or if I can even do this at all. My training was for less than a month. It was weekly hiking, some strength training and road running every now and then or in other words mediocre. True enough, that “okay na yan, pwede na yan” mentality backfired on me during the race. 

On briefing day I was able to personally meet and talk with Sir Jonel upon claiming my race kit. Energy level was high and the warm welcome from friends and strangers alike made me at ease in interacting with fellow runners though it was my first time joining a KOTM race. 

Few minutes before gun start I hugged my sister and sent well-wishes to fellow runners then went to join the rest of the pack at the starting line. I can still remember the heavy breathing, shouting and the mix emotions of the crowd as we all wait for the time to start running. 

As the race started I was able to cope up with the lead pack. We were the first to experience the uphill climb to Indupit Village followed by another few kilometers uphill to Ansipsip which is then followed by another uphill climb until the summit. Yes, you read that right! It was in summary a never ending uphill climb all the way up to the top. Thanks to the cold weather that was a big factor in getting into my target pace without stopping since it would be hard to start over again.

It was a classic newbie mistake that I kept running because I felt good without taking in consideration that I am actually in a long race and I needed to at least save energy until the finish line. I pushed too hard at an early part of the race thus I got my leg cramps too early as well. 

It was a slow descent to Saddle camp since I was in pain already. But seeing the rest of the runners struggling but still kept pushing was such a motivation for me to keep moving even if it meant walking the rest of the kilometers until the next aid station in Kapaya East Market. 

One last hurrah to Saddle Aid Station

I never felt there was a competition among the runners because even strangers stopped and helped me along the way. This kind of race is more than a showmanship of strength. It is also a manifestation of camaraderie and sportsmanship. 

I had only few friends and people I know in the race and none of them were present when I arrived at the Kayapa aid station. I envied those runners who were there empathizing and looking after each other. I felt sad and wishing I have somebody as well to express my sentiments.

After filling up my stomach and a short nap I continued running towards Amelong-Labeng. It was literally a big pain in the ass as described by other runners even before the race started. From the bridge the enormous mountain where we are headed was such a painful sight because from afar I can already see that it was another grueling assault.  I can still imagine all the struggling faces and cursing mouths from runners along the unforgiving trail. It was extra difficult for me because my legs were still not cooperating so I had to stop every time my legs were having cramps. 

Hiking up to Amelong - Labeng

Embracing the pain of the arduous kilometers left until the finish line as I suffer the consequence of not being physically prepared before the race were all part of the fight. Having strong mentality and a peace of mind was the best weapon I had at that time so giving up and declaring myself DNF was not an option for me. 

Reaching the last aid station at Castillo Village was a breath of fresh air knowing that there were only few kilometers left until the suffering ends. I took in as many food and drink to tackle the rest of the trail which is mostly concrete road as I greeted Mac, a friend from the hiking community and the rest of the runners enduring at the main event, Four Lakes 100 KM.

Arriving at the finish line was an emotional moment. Finally all the anguish were gone as I gratefully crossed the finish line. I was congratulated by Sir Jonel Mendoza, some friends and my sister. 

At the finish line

I would like to express my gratitude most especially to my sister Lleigh for the love and support, Jai and Khat, Sir Jonel Mendoza, marshalls and the rest of the trail running community for a memorable first-time ultra trail race.


|| End

Thanks to Laiza Manuel, Jaja Ferrer, and Active Pinas for the pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment